2/12/10

Playdate = Exhaustion

When I think about playgroups and playdates I think about before I had Sammy. I think about sitting around with other moms chatting, playing with our kids, and making sure they don't die or break anything. It seems so enjoyable and... dare I say... recharging.

I don't know why I had any reason to think that yesterday's playgroup would be easy. First, I have the first and third youngest children in the group. Second, I have a two month old who cries. A lot. I thought I could alleviate this problem by driving around a bit before the playgroup and put Sammy to sleep. Not so. Third, Harmon is into everything. EVERYTHING. Non-stop. And he likes to step (stomp) on other kids and steal their toys. This requires a lot of vigilance obviously.

So, at yesterday's valentine's day playgroup party, I managed to get one of the best workouts of my life. Sammy cried the first 45min (or more?) so I bounced and rocked and did squats while my legs burned. And after that when she finally fell asleep, I couldn't put her down. Meanwhile Harmon wanted to do everything: climb the stairs, play in the toilet, pull the books off the shelf, steal toys, etc. I think I would do better as an octopus.

When I write it down, it seems so mild, but really, although I enjoyed seeing some other moms and Harmon enjoyed playing, it was exhausting. The good news? We all came home and took a long nap together. Oh, and we ate a lot of cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment